Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Man I Killed/Ambush

Thematic Search--Things They Carried

GROUP A:

Spark Notes analysis:

"O’Brien illustrates the ambiguity and complexity of Vietnam by alternating explicit references to beauty and gore. The butterfly and the tiny blue flowers he mentions show the mystery and suddenness of death in the face of pristine natural phenomena. O’Brien’s observations of his victim lying on the side of the road—his jaw in his throat and his upper lip gone—emphasize the unnaturalness of war amid nature. The contrast of images is an incredibly ironic one that suggests the tragedy of death amid so much beauty. However, the presence of the butterfly and the tiny blue flowers also suggests that life goes on even despite such unspeakable tragedy. After O’Brien killed the Vietnamese soldier, the flowers didn’t shrivel up, and the butterfly didn’t fly away. They stayed and found their home around the tragedy. In this way, like the story of Curt Lemon’s death, “The Man I Killed” is a story about the beauty of life rather than the gruesomeness of death."

Find contrasting images of beauty and gore in the chapter.  Do you agree with this analysis?
 Where else in the novel do you find images of the beauty of life contrasted with the gruesomeness of death?




Group B:

Again, from Spark notes:


“The Man I Killed” sets up ideas that are addressed in “Ambush,” just as “The Things They Carried” sets up ideas that are addressed in “Love.” The refrains of “The Man I Killed,” such as “he was a short, slender man of about twenty,” are constant, adding to the continuity of the storytelling. Unlike “The Man I Killed,” which seems to take place in real time, “Ambush” is already a memory story—one with perspective, history, and a sense of life’s continuation. As such, O’Brien uses his narrative to clear up some of the questions that we might have about the somewhat ambiguous version of the story in “The Man I Killed.” But O’Brien’s memory is crystal clear. He remembers how he lobbed the grenade and that it seemed to freeze in the air for a moment, perhaps indicating his momentary regret even before the explosion detonated. He has a clear vision of the man’s actual death that he probably could not have articulated so close to the occurrence. O’Brien’s simile about the man seeming to jerk upward, as though pulled by invisible wires, suggests that the actions of the men in Vietnam were not entirely voluntary. They were propelled by another power outside of them—the power of guilt and responsibility and impulse and regret.


Where else in the novel do you find references to the power of guilt , responsibility and regret?

Group 3 Tim O'Brien discussing "Ambush":

Male audience member (Frank Grzyb): Hello? I've read several of your books, and very curious about how much is real and how much isn't real. That's the first question. I find a lot to be real; you may have a different answer. The second question is I read a story that I find highly improbable, but it could be factual, knowing how weird Vietnam was, and that was, basically, about a guy who called and got his girlfriend to come into country, and she ended up in a Green Beret outfit, and I said, this could never happen, but Vietnam was so strange, it was liable to happen.
Tim O'Brien: Yeah. Well, I'll respond in two ways. One - excuse me, my cold is hitting me now - (coughs) Excuse me. Number one, uh, the literal truth is ultimately, to me, irrelevant. What matters to me is the heart-truth. I'm going to die, you're all going to die, the earth is going to flame out when the sun goes. We all know the facts. The truth - I mean, does it matter what the real Hamlet was like, or the real Ulysses - does it matter? Well, I don't think so. In the fundamental human way, the ways we think about in our dream-lives, and our moral lives, and our spiritual lives, what matters is what happens in our hearts. A good lie, if nobly told, for good reason, seems to me preferable to a very boring and pedestrian truth, which can lie, too. That's one way of answering.
I'll give you a more practical answer. The last piece I read for you, it is very, and it does approximate an event that happened in my life, and it's hard for me to read to you, at the same time it wasn't literally true in all its detail. It wasn't a hand grenade, it was a, was a rifle thing. We had circled the village one night - called it cordoning the village - and this stuff never worked in Vietnam-those vets who are here know what I'm talking about-these things never worked, but it did, once. We circled the village and we drove the enemy out in daylight, and three enemy soldiers came marching-the silhouettes like you're at a carnival shoot - and about eighteen of us or twenty of us were lined up along a paddy dike. We all opened up from, I don't know, eighteen yards or twenty yards away. We, really, we killed one of them; the others we couldn't find, which shows you what bad shots we were on top of everything else. Well, I will never know whether I killed anyone, that man in particular - how do I know? I hope I didn't. But I'll never know.
The thing is, you have to, though, when you return from a war, you have to assume responsibility. I was there, I took part in it, I did pull the trigger, and whether I literally killed a man or not is finally irrelevant to me. What matters is I was part of it all, the machine that did it, and do feel a sense of obligation, and through that story I can share some of my feelings, when I walked over that corpse that day, and looked down at it, wondering, thinking, "dear God, dear God, please don't let it have been my bullet, Dear God, please." Um, that's the second answer.

What does this reveal about the purpose of these two stories-- "The Man I Killed" and "Ambush"-- in the novel?

8 comments:

  1. Jimmy Cross felt guilty when Ted Lavender was shot, as lieutenant he feels responsible for his men and their well being. Another instance of this guilt or regret is when Fossie's girlfriend becomes a greenie. He regrets letting her come to Vietnam and responsible for her disappearance. Guilt, responsibility, and regret are strong elements of "The Man I Killed" and "Ambush", as well as throughout the entire book.
    -Alyssia, Carly, Veronica, Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Group C: Rachael, Ethan, Molly, Deja
    This reveals that Tim O'Brien didn't care about the literal truth, but what was true to his heart. In the chapter "How to Tell A True War Story," O'Brien says "in any war story, especially a true one, is difficult what happened from what seemed to happen." When O'Brien says what is true to his heart, he means what he felt and how if affected him, even if it wasn't the literal truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throughout the novel O'Brien paints a picture in the readers mind that shows how war looks and how it feels. In "Ambush," O'Brien describes a fog that he and other soldiers feel which symbolizes the confusion that a soldier experiences during war. "In a way, it seemed, he was part of the morning fog, or my imagination, but there was also the reality of what was happening in my stomach."
      What does this reveal about the purpose of these two stories-- "The Man I Killed" and "Ambush"-- in the novel?
      Rachael, Ethan, Deja, Molly

      Delete
  3. Group A: Elizabeth, Jaida, Francis, Aleja
    Our group agrees with the Spark Notes Analysis on O'Brien. The way he describes death is truly beautiful, he contrasts the gore with poetic imagery.

    Examples:
    1. "Lieutenant Cross gazed at the tunnel. But he was not there. He was buried with Martha under the white sand at the Jersey Shore"
    2. "Sharp grey eyes, lean and narrow-waisted , and when he died it was almost beautiful, the way the sunlight came around him and lifted him up and sucked him high into a tree full of moss and vines and white blossoms."
    3. "The butterfly was making its way along the young man's forehead... the young man would not have wanted to be a soldier and in his heart would have feared performing badly in battle."

    When talking about death O'Brien uses beauty from nature to emphasize the beauty of life rather than the gruesomeness of death. Throughout the story he uses these contrasting images to show how confusing Vietnam could have been at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Group B: Deanna and Jackson

    Throughout "The Things They Carried," common elements of human conscious appear frequently, such as responsibility, guilt, and regret. One example of these feelings was when Mary Anne joined the Green Berets. She felt that it was her responsibility to join the ranks and assits the Greenies in battle. This depressed Mark Fossie, and he regretted allowing her to come down to Vietnam with them, because he didn't want to lose his "sweetheart." Fossie thought that it was his fault that Mary Anne decided to join the force, because it was he who brought her down in the first place. The elements of guilt, responsibility and regret are very common in "The Things They Carried," and they help us connect to the characters of the story; letting us view them as humans with feelings and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Group three: Tim, Julie, Julia, Alice, Alexis, Phalyn, Jasmyn.
    This reveals that Tim O'Brien does not know for sure whether it was his bullet that killed the man, but he felt responsible for confessing to killing him, because it COULD have been his bullet. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether it was O'Brien who killed him, because he participated in the war that was responsible for hundreds of deaths. O'Brien writes: "I did not hate the young man; I did not see him as the enemy; I did not ponder the issues of morality or politics or military duty," (O'Brien 132). This shows that O'Brien participated in the war without thinking about what he was doing. This was probably a coping mechanism for dealing with the guilt. But once he returned home the feelings overwhelmed him. He wrote these two chapters as a dedication to those he may have hurt in war.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison, Quinn, Nate,Duncan, concetta, Samiya, Enuma, and Hannah (group A)*
    We agree with the spark notes analysis. We agree with it because he contrasts the beauty with death.
    1. "He lay at the center of the trail, his right leg bent beneath him, his one eye shut, his other eye a huge star shaped hole."
    2. "The young mans head was wrenched sideways, not quite facing the flowers and even in the shade a single blade of sunlight sparkled against the buckle of his ammunition belt."
    3. " The body lay almost entirely in shade. There were gnats at the mouth, little flecks of pollen, drifting above the nose. The butterfly was gone. The bleeding had stopped except for the neck wounds."


    ReplyDelete
  7. Group B:
    Kayli Zeluff, Lillian Feldman, Lauryl Sandman, Artemis Markakis, Ben Zuegel:

    • One reference of guilt in the novel would be when Ted Lavender is shot and the lieutenant feels like it was all his fault. He believed it was his responsibility to keep his men safe and one of his soldiers was shot right in front of him. “Lavender was dead. You couldn’t burn the blame (23).”
    • A reference to implied guilt is on page 36 when Norman Bowker says that he feels some type of responsibility to come home with a war medal. “If I could have one wish, anything, I’d wish for my dad to write me a letter and say it’s okay if I don’t win any medals. That’s all my old man talks about, nothing else. How he can’t wait to see my goddamn medals (36).”
    • Another example of this would be in the chapter, On the Rainy River when Tim O’Brien wrestles with the decision as to whether or not to go to Canada and be rid of the draft or stay in the United States and serve his country. “I would go to the war-I would kill and maybe die- because I was embarrassed not to (59).”

    ReplyDelete