Wednesday, August 25, 2010

AP Summer Work Letter/Welcome

Dear Students,

School starts next week. Can you believe it?

I hope you've had a great summer. I've enjoyed mine and am excited about getting back to work with all of you.

Some of you have already sent me sample essays, and I will be getting back to you shortly with some comments on them. Remember that SOAPSTONE is only a guideline for how the College Board wants you to approach analyzing the rhetorical strategies and stylistics a writer utilizes to convey MEANING, PURPOSE, and TONE. You can write about all these things and more as the course progresses. PLEASE BE SURE TO USE AN MLA HEADING, TITLE YOUR ESSAY, and QUOTE FROM THE AUTHOR'S TEXT (as much as necessary).

I've attached two sample essays from last year which I hope will help you in writing yours. What you are practicing with these 5 essays is the first of three 40 minute essays that will be on your AP exam. So please take this summer assignment seriously. You will be sharing an one or two of your essays with classmates for comments and revisions during the first school week. So be prepared for that.

Also, you do need to have read 2 of the 11th grade summer reading novels (just like the other students in 11th grade). You will be asked to write a critical lens response sometime during the first week regarding that as well. I hope you've read more, and we can talk about your "good book" recommendations in class.

OK---Strunk and White and Lynn Truss---please, please work on your grammar and punctuation. It does count on the AP exam. Some former AP students only got a 2 on the exam because of weaknesses with spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Don't let this happen to you. I will be posting an easy quiz on the website which I hope you'll take and do as a COMMENT after you sign in to the website and become a follower.

This year's website will be a continuation of last year's--apenglish9.blogspot.com

If you go there, you can get an overview of what we will be studying all year. So, please visit it and let me know you've signed on as a follower.

What else? If you have questions or concerns, feel free to email me at mlgamz@aol.com. I'd love to hear from you about school work and/or just how your summer's gone.

AP English Composition and Language is 9th period, the last class of the day. You are a large class, but I look forward to working with all of you and know that you will make my day special!

Ms. Gamzon

2 comments:

  1. Big class--it's 31 at the moment. Last year's class had 29 in 9th period and 16 in 5th period, but we managed. If you're all as hard-working as last year's group, you'll do well! Not to worry.

    ReplyDelete